How To Heal Scalp Psoriasis?
If you're one of the millions of people worldwide who suffer from scalp psoriasis, you know that the incessant itchiness and flaking can be extremely frustrating. While there is no cure for psoriasis, there are treatments that can help to control the symptoms and improve the condition of your scalp. Here are some tips on how to heal scalp psoriasis:
1. Keep Your Scalp Clean and Moisturized
One of the most important things you can do to treat scalp psoriasis is to keep your scalp clean and moisturized. Gently wash your hair with a mild shampoo every day or two, and be sure to apply a moisturizing conditioner. You may also want to try using a medicated shampoo or cream rinse, which can help to soothe the itching and scaling. Ask your doctor about what products are best for you.
2. Use Medicated Ointments or Creams
In addition to shampooing and conditioning your hair, you can also treat your scalp with medicated ointments or creams. These products can help to reduce inflammation, itching, and scaling. Be sure to talk to your doctor about which product is right for you, as some may cause side effects.
3. Try Light Therapy
Another treatment option for scalp psoriasis is light therapy, also known as phototherapy. This involves exposing your skin to controlled amounts of natural or artificial light. Light therapy can help to decrease the activity of your immune system, which can in turn help to reduce the symptoms of scalp psoriasis. Be sure to talk to your doctor about whether light therapy is right for you.
4. Take Medications
There are also a number of medications that can be used to treat scalp psoriasis. These include both topical medications, which are applied directly to the skin, and oral medications, which are taken by mouth. Be sure to talk to your doctor about which medication is right for you.
5. Get Support
If you're one of the millions of people who suffer from scalp psoriasis, you know that the condition can be both physically and emotionally painful. Though there is no cure for scalp psoriasis, there are a number of treatments that can help to control the symptoms and heal the affected skin. In this article, we'll explore some of the most effective ways to heal scalp psoriasis.
If you suffer from scalp psoriasis, it's important to get support from family and friends. There are also a number of support groups available, both in person and online. These groups can provide valuable information and support.
Topical treatments are the most common form of treatment for scalp psoriasis. These include medicated shampoos, creams, gels, and ointments that are applied directly to the affected area. Topical treatments can help to control the symptoms of scalp psoriasis by reducing inflammation, itchiness, and scaling. Some of the most commonly used topical treatments for scalp psoriasis include:
- Corticosteroid creams or ointments: These are anti-inflammatory medications that can help to reduce swelling, redness, and itchiness. They come in a variety of strengths, so be sure to use them as directed by your doctor.
- Calcipotriene: This is a vitamin D analog that helps to reduce skin cell production. It is available in cream, gel, or lotion form.
- Tazarotene: This is a retinoid medication that helps to reduce scaling and itching. It is available in gel or cream form.
Systemic treatments are used when topical treatments are not effective. These treatments work by affecting the entire body rather than just the affected area. Systemic treatments for scalp psoriasis include:
- Oral or injected medication: These medications work throughout the body to help control the symptoms of scalp psoriasis. They can have serious side effects, so they should only be used as a last resort.
- Phototherapy: This involves using ultraviolet light to help control the symptoms of scalp psoriasis. Phototherapy can be done in a doctor's office or at home with a special light device.
In addition to medical treatments, there are a number of natural remedies that can help to heal scalp psoriasis. These include:
- Tea tree oil: This essential oil has anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties that can help to soothe scalp inflammation and reduce scaling.
- Coconut oil: This natural oil has moisturizing properties that can help to reduce scaling and itching.
- Aloe vera: This plant has soothing properties that can help to reduce irritation and itchiness.
- Manuka honey: This honey has antibacterial properties that can help to heal skin infections.